Saturday, September 7, 2019

Review: The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“It's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.”

This book sat on my shelf for a decade, at least. Now, I wish I had read it sooner.

This is a sweeping epic of hatred and hope, of fracture and forgiveness. It covers the history of Afghanistan from the 1960’s to the current day. Through it, I finally have a clearer picture of the chain of events. It taught me. While not considered historical fiction, this author tells a tale of two boys – friends -- and the backdrop?  Ethnic segregation, invasions, the Taliban, and more. It does not try to be a history book; it is fiction. Great fiction. Still, it informs.

“Better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.”

Your heart will pound but you will not put this down. This is storytelling at its best.

“War doesn't negate decency. It demands it, even more than in times of peace."

100% unforgettable with every possible "greatest of hits" thematic element that avid readers long for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment