Sunday, September 25, 2016

Review: Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives

Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a keeper. I have consumed so many books in the past two years on mastering habits, closing in on one dozen, now. This ranks up there with Duhigg's, The Power of Habit, and with McGonigal's, The Willpower Instinct. This book takes a friendly approach to the topic, relying less on cataloguing and clarifying the scientific studies.

Ms. Rubin sounds like a comrade. Her style is so relatable. We get acquainted with her friends, her family, her neighbors! Even if you feel like a total failure and cannot manage to rein in your impulses, this warm-read will help you dust off your determination. Her writing is so cheerful, it is hard not to feel buoyant.

I enjoyed her categorization theory - like, are you a questioner, an upholder, an obliger or a rebel? This is a useful tool. I also liked the "pairing device" for getting things done. I have used it myself many times over the years, but never had a name for it.

I'll be reading more Gretchen Rubin, that's for sure!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment