Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: Great Expectations

Great Expectations Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"He says no varnish can hide the grain of wood; and that the more varnish you put on, the more the grain will express itself."

This book was on my must-read list for such a long time. And now I want to read it again.

Reading Dickens is like returning briefly - while in the midst of life's great chaos - to the only things in life that actually matter. But so much truth... so much truth smarts a bit. The bard was right: Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines.

This will go back on the list because I still have so much to draw from it. Pip, Miss Havisham, Herbert, dear old Joe, Mrs. Joe (!), Magwitch, all of them ~ I need to hear it all from them again. Just one more time, I think .....

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment