Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: Moon Tiger

Moon Tiger Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Lively's vast knowledge of history is made evident throughout this remarkable story and this expertise she flawlessly weaves into Claudia's life; it's a real bonus!

I loved the story, because I loved Claudia. Everything about her - the fact that she lived for herself, the fact that she did not care about the rules (a bigger deal in the 1950's), and the fact that she had a razor-sharp mind.....all were so mightily impressive.

Ms. Lively's writing surpasses so many others and I've already begun a second book by her. She has an unusual gift. However, I did get frustrated with the mental gymnastics required of me, the reader, to know where we were on the Claudia-calendar. Because this book is being told by the somewhat geriatric (but NEVER feeble) Claudia from her sick-bed, and because it is auto-biographical (although fiction), the author has the added task of making sure her reader knows where we are in Claudia's life. Not much effort is put into those transitions. I did get frustrated. Through presomnal and postsomnal states, our central character told about the events of her life. The sensation captured was that of hypnagogic reverie. This worked. I just think that Lively needed to add a layer of lucidity for her reader.

Great book!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment