Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: The Sorrows of Young Werther

The Sorrows of Young Werther The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This most excellent epistolary novel has long been on my NeedToRead list. Definitely worth the wait!

If I had recently lost at the game of love, or if I were forlorn or woebegone in any way, well, I'd burn every copy of this book I could find. Goethe so deftly expresses the torment of unrequited love; it is truly distressing to read through the devolution of Werther's mind and spirit. Yet, isn't it impossible not to turn the next page, when you know that a masterpiece is unfolding? Goethe made art out of agony.

Not a book for the heart-broken. Consider yourself warned.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment