Saturday, January 28, 2017

Review: Alas, Babylon

Alas, Babylon Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'll start on a positive note. It was an uplifting story because after a nuclear holocaust in which only one small town in Florida is spared, people figure things out, cooperate, and rebuild. Not a spoiler, by the way, since this info can be found on the back cover. I liked the fact that this book demonstrated how people, in the absence of a government, can come together, DIY-style, and get things done.

Now for the not-so-positive notes. The writing is stiff and unimaginative. It was not easy to finish. Part of the problem is that it was written and published in the late 50's. However, the bigger part was simply the way the words came together, sentence after sentence. They made me yawn.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment