Monday, July 17, 2017

Review: No One Is Coming to Save Us

No One Is Coming to Save Us No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The books starts out very strong. Page after page the sentences clutch at your heart; they are so soulful and pithy and truthful. This author has a gift with casual dialogue.

It is described by many as The Great Gatsby cast in the American South and without any white people. That works for me, as does the central message, which was (for me) surviving the bad things which will happen to you in this life.

There is something in this story for every man, for every woman.
It will touch you, although I don't think it will leave you feeling a 'lightness of spirit'.

The storyline itself needed more. With all of the characters seeming to have had their very souls on a hard diet for decades, I found myself seeking events and happenings for relief.

A very well-written book, though.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment