Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Review: The Man in My Basement

The Man in My Basement The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an impulse read - one of those books I picked up at the library, opened to the middle, read one paragraph, and thought, ok, I'll give it a go .

I had read a Mosley book a few years back and thought it was just ok. I found his lewdness distracted from that story and in this book, I felt the same. He is preoccupied with a sophomoric kind of smuttiness; I don't really get this and think it diminishes his message but, hey, it is clearly just a style thing.

On the bright side, I enjoyed the story's pace and I respect the magnitude of the burden he took on when constructing his central character. The journey from inertia through brutal nihilism and back to solid (yet familiar) ground was good stuff.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment