Sunday, August 26, 2018

Review: Don Quixote

Don Quixote Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Initially funny - ultimately terribly tedious. I did not like this book and want to apologize to my first three kids, because I made them read it in high school, as I was under the false impression that it was one of those "very important books".

The only important message I could extract from the 900 pages is that if you read too many nonsense books, it might deal a serious blow to your sanity, which is what happened to Don Quixote of La Mancha.

It is a clever book, yes. I laughed at Quixote's idiocy, but I found my own limit for whimsical stupidity at around page 300. Sympathy for his straight man, Sancho, and fatigue over the Dulcinea delusion had me just scanning some of the following 600 pages and sometimes just reading the first sentence of each paragraph.

Apologies to all sweet on Cervantes. This book was not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment