Sunday, November 11, 2018

Review: How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics

How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics by Eugenia Cheng
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a real charmer for the mathanxious among us. How to Bake Pi is a one-of-a-kind book about the mathematics of mathematics in which each chapter begins with a familiar recipe. The author, Eugenia Cheng, is a (math) category theorist, among other things. Her goal in this book is to first illustrate some of the useful tools of math but, then,  to ultimately have the reader understand the common thread of relationships, languages, shapes, and ideas to which math can play host. The recipes featured help her reveal the general principle in each chapter. Mercifully and skillfully, she refers back to components of the recipe to make sure she hasn’t lost her reader as she marches forward with her brave analogies.

Here's how I like to think about category theory. It's the Magna Mater Franchisor. From it spring multiple different franchises, different shapes and sizes and products, but with recognizable components and packaging. It works for me but I can't promise its accuracy, coming from me, a mathanxious one.

My favorite thing about this book? The word axiomatization - I can’t wait to use it. It is the reduction of some complex system to a simpler set of rules. Who cares, you say? I do and you should too. Think about any huge problem you have in your life – something complicated with dozens of ramifications. Make a short list of the good and the bad. Axioms will materialize from this – themes which will both illuminate and provide direction.

I am more curious than ever about category theory and also about Eugenia Cheng. She has authored two additional books since How to Bake Pi and I have ordered them both. Stay tuned for more reviews of Eugenia Cheng’s work!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment