Sunday, May 12, 2019

Review: Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was pure magic. It was as though all of nature exhaled and these words, warm and rich and teeming with life, fell into order on the pages. The author's lyrical language lifted question after question upon the reader's plate - the kinds of questions that really matter. They stilled my heart, my mind, my world.

You will be drawn into Kya's world. So simple, so exquisitely beautiful, so in sync with nature - this Marsh Girl will to steal your heart, I promise.

The story of Kya's life is filled with drama, hatred, love, violence, justice and injustice - from the brutalities of abandonment and hunger, to the extraordinary ways she chose to be excellent. Your heart will be punched down and lifted up as well, but the redemption folded deep into this story delivers... it truly delivers.

And all of this is set in the untarnished, wilderness of a swampland. A marsh. This author makes it all so beautiful, so vivid, and so desirable. You will hear the gulls, feel the squish of stepping through muddy reeds, and smell the grits with onions on the stovetop.

I wish I had more than two thumbs for the thumbs up to this soulful plea from the marsh to all of humanity.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment