Sunday, October 6, 2019

Review: The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a whimsical and often sad story offering lots of tools for looking at relationships from a fresh perspective. This was my favorite thing about it.

I always find the mechanics of time travel tedious, preferring a linear path to all others. At times I was perplexed and a little impatient.

Some of the unexpected wonderings I had while reading this:

Are any two people, lovers or not, ever truly in the same place at the same time with life and all of its dramas?

Isn't it true that we are always (in our present moments) coping with our partner's history? Their childhood and what happened or did not happen? Aren't we thrust into their pasts by way of present dramas, anyway, and how is this different than time travel?

The book was a good read. It struggled a little under the weight of its most original construction. While not exactly my cup of tea, it offered a change of pace and it rearranged some of the furniture of relationships in my mind. Pretty neat.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment