Monday, January 6, 2020

Review: City of Thieves

City of Thieves City of Thieves by David Benioff
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A marvelous and shocking perspective on the siege of Leningrad from the lives of few strangers who find themselves thrown together on a peculiar and dangerous journey. Beautifully told - I could feel the cold come through the pages into my own bones.

This quote from the book reveals the heart and soul of the stage that Benioff masterfully constructs:

German corpses fell from the sky; cannibals sold sausage links made from ground human in the Haymarket; apartment blocs collapsed to the ground; dogs became bombs; frozen soldiers became signposts; a partisan with half a face stood swaying in the snow, staring sad-eyed at his killers. I had no food in my belly, no fat on my bones, and no energy to reflect on this parade of atrocities . I just kept moving..."

Read. This. Book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment