Thursday, February 13, 2020

Review: Brideshead Revisited

Brideshead Revisited Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Every sentence is festooned with snobbery and every deeply-flawed character is an appliance for the author's main task. (I just loved this!)

Years ago, I saw the Brideshead Revisited PBS series with Jeremy Irons (as Charles Ryder). So, I was actually very surprised, throughout my reading, by this most obvious theme - Catholicism. Every character undergoes some kind of a religious awakening and conversion. It is woven into every major occurrence - it is a repeating chorus.

However, it is the bombast, the hauteur - all wrapped beautifully in such ornamental language - that kept me reading with joy for many hours.

A quote which has stuck with me: He wasn't a complete human being at all. He was a tiny bit of one, unnaturally developed; something in a bottle, an organ kept alive in a laboratory. I thought he was a sort of primitive savage, but he was something absolutely modern and up-to-date that only this ghastly age could produce. A tiny bit of a man pretending he was the whole.

A solidly interesting story relayed in the most luxurious language imaginable - two thumbs up!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment