Monday, March 23, 2020

Review: Cranford

Cranford Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Satirical and charming in equal measure, I thoroughly enjoyed the story Gaskell tells of the lives of the unmarried and widowed ladies of Cranford. This is a Victorian era feel-good novel. Everyone is either kind or a silly fool, and there are no murderers or truly sinister deeds, yet there are big events and the story has a healthy pace.

Tongues wag constantly amid sudden deaths, sudden departures and sudden turns of fortune, but propriety never takes a back seat, no matter how indignant the events.

I fell in love with all the ladies of Cranford (especially Miss Matty!) and I have discovered another author who writes words the way I love to read them -- in long, beautifully-constructed sentences.

Two thumbs up for Cranford.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment