Sunday, May 3, 2020

Review: The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have stepped outside my typical non-fiction and old literature genres (once again) and chose this Lisa Jewell title for a much needed covid-intermission. It totally worked. 100% diverting.

The characters are real - the drama and the tragedy, very real. It all begins when sweet Libby Jones inherits a house. She decides she will dig into her own history to learn who her real parents were and how she came to be found, as a baby, in a dilapidated mansion that had once been grand.

Excellent pace, and, oh, the domestic noir! This twisted up mess of a family! There is love, betrayal, colossal stupidity, innocence, and evil. It is a story of survival more than anything else. Lots of twists and turns~

I recommend Earl Grey tea with lemon cookies to go with this!

Storytelling at its best. Jewell has a gift.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment