Saturday, August 1, 2020

Review: The Moonstone

The Moonstone The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It took me as long to read this book as it (probably) took Wilkie to write it.

Of course, the organization of this epic story from start to finish is perfection. But, I did find myself a bit exasperated from time to time. It just took so long for some basic truths to be revealed. The author's training as a lawyer comes through; there is a precision of language that sometimes makes a sacrificial lamb of pace.

The character development is so impressive. This author is unmatched in this realm, I think. I adored Mr. Betteredge, my favorite, and I'm sure you will, too. The villains and the heroes can be spotted right from the start in my opinion, but Mr Collins really takes his time before he makes clear demonstrations of the inherent evil or saintliness of these characters. Again, I did think it lacked pace.

The story revolves around an enormous yellow diamond - one so beautiful and valuable that people die trying to make it theirs. It disappears. Attempts to work out who stole the diamond each follow like a tedious argument resulting in just another dead end. The fact that the diamond is from India and has sacred value lends an exotic mood to many of the chapters of this tome, which is, otherwise, a decidedly English story.

I enjoyed it but might wait awhile before returning to Wilkie Collins.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment