Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After the first few pages, my mind flung a heavy slipcover over all the "furniture" of my world. Nothing mattered but the yarn Ms. Tartt was unraveling for me. I have been possessed and simply could not sleep much for the past three days, fearing a seasonal distraction would successfully derail me from the haunted Goldfinch-tossed lives.

Now that it is done, I know I am disappointed. I think the book tries to be too much. I wonder if there were large stretches of time in between her writings to complete this book. Her voice changes in the telling and I could feel her shifting from passion to perfunctory description at times. The first half is tight and it really hums.

Still, I needed to find out how all of the characters landed as much as I needed to eat and breathe. So, kuddos to Ms. Tartt.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment