Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: Sam the Cat: and Other Stories

Sam the Cat: and Other Stories Sam the Cat: and Other Stories by Matthew Klam
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In a country long-paralyzed by political correctness this book of short stories is seriously brazen. And possibly imprudent. But I did like it - the stories are brutally funny.
I picked it up in a used book store while on vacation. I read the first two pages and loved his butcher's knife style with words.
The central character in all of the stories (except the last story in the book) is a devilish, hopeless, grotesquely believable man who is deeply terrified of authentic love. He is a puerile lightweight who is in love with the idea of love. We all know the type.
His handicap is seen in both men and women.
It made me laugh out loud, because it really was funny and because I am so many years past this phenomena having any impact on my life. However, if I were young and had recently been jilted, I'd probably be spewing venom right now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment