Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Review: 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Several times over the past several months, I heard Jordan B. Peterson’s name, dropped like a detonation of sorts, in the middle of the most unlikely online discussion platforms and podcasts. Who is this guy, I wondered, and how is he making so many people angry?

Rather than take information second-hand from dubitable online sources, I thought it best to read his book carefully and decide for myself if he is worth all the fuss. Oh, he is.

It was not hard to give this book my full attention. Any psychologist/author who makes powerful, frequent and simultaneous reference to evolutionary science and the Gospels of Jesus Christ, has already accomplished the improbable if not the impossible. He set my thoughts galloping like bloodhounds and I had to put the book down, now and again, just so I could have my pulse return to normal. Common sense presented after a thorough, honest, pure search for truth does this to me.

I know why he offends. His words prove that virtue-signaling complacency is not impregnable but rather easily collapsible. He parses false theories, stepping into the abyss on topics surrounding gender equality, social hierarchies, right vs. wrong, and nihilistic worldviews, with astounding clarity, calm, and fearlessness. I am so glad that his voice is being heard.

Rule 7, which states “do what is meaningful, not what is expedient” and Rule 8, which states “tell the truth, or, at least, don’t lie”, were my favorites. Why? Because he convinced me thoroughly that what is expedient works only for the moment and that every non-truth, every flat out lie, every lie of omission and all hyperbole will one day exact its price. I have learned this the hard way more than once already, but his reminder, particularly in the context of social justice, is so very timely.

Be brave. Read his work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment