Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Review: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book, oh, this book.

Eleanor Oliphant may indeed be perfectly fine, but now I’m not sure I am. The story splintered my heart, even as a I guffawed. I loved every minute with this book, with Eleanor, but I am also shattered.

Our character’s precision of language and guileless logic are served immaculately on a bed of the most pitiable of all human circumstances. At times it was unbearable to witness her fractured soul and her terrible loneliness. And then she’d make me laugh out loud.

A quote (during a cremation…not hers, of course): “I’m not sure I’d like to be burned. I think I might like to be fed to zoo animals. It would be both environmentally friendly and a lovely treat for the larger carnivores. Could you request that?”

Recommended by a friend (thank you, Elise!), I learned that the wait list at my library was seven people deep. I am not that patient. An audio CD version was available and so I began. I have no audio CD player in my house – only in my car – and, yes, I actually sat in my car a few times in the past week just to be with Eleanor Oliphant. This is a wonderful, wonderful book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment