Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Review: The Other Einstein

The Other Einstein The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was a gift from a friend. I loved it.

Frankly, other than the many posters I've seen, with affirmations plastered boldly beneath his disheveled visage, I don't know much about the man - Albert Einstein. This book is not and does not profess to be a biography of his life with his first wife. The author explains at the end that there are facts that she was able to unearth before she wrote this story and there are embellishments of these facts which she was able to imagine and include in the story.

Of course, I now have the fabrications forever fitted into the mix of Mileva Maric's life with Albert!

I do love books about strong women (not the type which make the news these days as they bear no resemblance to the real thing). I mean women who clawed and fought for education, for a life of the mind, for recognition of their exceptionalism and respect for their achievements in the science and literary worlds, in the face of a brutal, and deep-rooted irrelevance there. Mileva was such a woman, it seems.

The language at the beginning of the book is a little beige - maybe even vanilla. However, as the pace increases, color and flavor do, too. Keep reading as this book gets better and better with each page.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment