Saturday, October 6, 2018

Review: The Kitchen House

The Kitchen House The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am getting too old for books like this. I lost two nights of sleep and full neck mobility, because, although exhausted and injured, I simply could not stop reading.

What a story. It is early 19th Century and a 7 year old orphaned Irish girl is sent to a tobacco plantation in the antebellum South where she lives and works with the slaves in the "kitchen house". Then, life begins to happen; my word, each chapter was a fresh bucket of cold water thrown in my face.

Through her magic, Grissom makes every blow and every piece of human wretchedness real. She also reminds us what bravery and love can endure, and why love is the only thing that can save us from ourselves.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment