Thursday, February 7, 2019

Review: Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight

Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight by M.E. Thomas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was on my gotta read list for years. Finally, it is done!

Confessions of a Sociopath is a very strange book. I kept wondering what the author’s purpose was in writing it. She says many times that she wanted to elevate the standing of sociopaths in society – to legitimize them - to get non-sociopaths to vote for them in a way. But, then she describes in many different ways the joy she gets when she purposefully sets out to ruin another person just for the sport of it. Hmmm. Every time she had me thinking…yeah, I guess sociopaths aren’t so bad, I need to understand these people better, she’d share another boastful story of her own laziness or destruction or manipulation, and I’d quickly withdraw my vote.

Here’s my takeaway on sociopaths, after reading this book. They are boring. She describes thinking like a machine, engaging with others only so she can use them to her ends, having no remorse, having no empathy, and lying, stealing and cheating her way through life. I thought I was curious about sociopaths. This book taught me that I am not. Not really. The absence of humanity made the stories somewhat monotonous.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment