Sunday, February 3, 2019

Review: Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive

Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive by Stephanie Land
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am delighted that Stephanie Land, author of Maid, has fought her way out of the poverty which plagued her life. She represents a common cultural class in America - those who are born disadvantaged; those who never seem to get a break and who cannot find a clear path away from impoverishment. Bereft of resources, raised with poor or no parental support, with no access and no tools for success …. yeah, this is a recipe for long-term misery. Ms. Land is one of the lucky ones; she worked her way out.

I often felt I was being lectured to. I was put off by what seemed like a juvenile attitude toward the drudgery of hard work and toward the rather common issue of “the haves and the have nots”. I grew up poor, so I related to her frustration and her envy – up to a point. I am familiar with the worry and fear that, “I’ll never get ahead, I’ll always be serving those who have more”. She often sounded childish in her expectations. I think she could have accomplished more in expressing her unhappiness by using a less plaintive voice.

As for filthy toilets (speaking for myself), overflowing/blowout diapers inoculated me against all things gross, making foul toilets powerless to elicit much of a reaction. I did not understand her dirty toilet “breakdown”. Surely, all moms have dealt with much worse?

This book is described as “vivid and engaging”. I did not find it to be so. However, it did hold a valuable message - we must remember to be steadfast in our respect toward and consideration of others, regardless of their station in life.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment