Sunday, June 21, 2020

Review: The End of the Affair

The End of the Affair The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I miss the characters in this book already and I only just finished it hours ago. Beautifully imagined; beautifully written. The End of the Affair is a love story, of course. But I found it was more a book about God and faith. Believing or not believing is front and center in every chapter. I don't think I've ever experienced a character like Maurice, who twists himself into every conceivable angle of the horrorstruck in order to be able to say, There is no god.

Was his affair with Sarah or with the idea of God?

And dear, sweet, steady Henry. I wanted to keep watching his life, but I wonder why. It was so awfully dull. But, I had a sense that he had a secret power - the ability to be satisfied?

The end of the storm inside Maurice was hard to read. I felt sick on his behalf as the truth about Sarah emerged.

A very good read this was.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment