Sunday, June 28, 2020

Review: The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book chilled me to the bone. I had some trouble at the beginning in the reading as it did not immediately appeal - stylistically. I got past this, as the story, lord the story, was just so powerful.

Science fiction is not my go-to genre, but here we have a tale that is just believable enough, just imaginable enough that it falls a bit outside the fantastic. That's why it terrified me. It was the money. Denying women access to their own money. I mean, how hard would that be in the age of technology? I think, not very.

No one can move about freely in a modern life without access to money. And once crippled in this way, the rest....well it wouldn't be so very hard.

The many different costumes of totalitarianism are all invoked. The feeling of helplessness the reader shares with the victims of the trap is palpable throughout.

I have not yet watched the show. That is next!

Two thumbs up.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment