Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: For Whom the Bell Tolls

For Whom the Bell Tolls For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book does a great job portraying the fitful and arbitrary nature of virtue in man (generally) and in man at war (especially). It captures the beastliness of warfare and the monstrosities birthed by hatred.
But, I don't think this is a great book - there was far too much circuitous dialogue. Also, the central character's relationship with Maria is practically cartoonish. I'm not sure this one is Hemingway's best.
I blanched as Hemingway wielded his blunt instrument through the telling of this story - it packed a punch in many places. I also learned a lot about the Spanish Civil War - not something I've ever reflected upon.
I am glad I read it but would not describe it as a page-turner.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment