Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Review: The Good Earth

The Good Earth The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I finished this, I wanted to have an O-Lan party to honor this superb character. Without her I would have had no one to hail and root for through this vivid, meandering saga.

It is set in a poor Chinese village before World War I. Through it the reader is reminded of inequities such that he or she will surely never encounter in a lifetime.

Pearl Buck’s use of simple declarative sentences creates a fable-like comfort in the reader but do not be misled by this style because the content….oh, the content of those humble, uncluttered lines strikes blow after blow as lives and fortunes are wounded and pierced or lavished and rescued.

Friends ….ya gotta read this one.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment